Wednesday, November 16, 2016

2-In-1 Monoprint Collage

This is a fun lesson I just did with my adaptive high schoolers, but I have done this with second and third graders in the past.  It is great because you get a "bonus" product at the end:  a beautiful collage, as well as a print.....or two.....or three.......or ten.



We start with an intro of  Louise Nevelson (there's a link to my Nevelson Prezi if you would like to use it).  I love to plug those powerful female artists whenever possible ;).

Next, the kids get to hunt for "junk" for their sculpture.  I have done this two different ways.  One year, I had other things that had more volume, like tubes and small containers or lids.  With this method you have to use tacky glue or hot glue (harder if you have young students).  You also don't get the "bonus print" with this option, because you can't print with all the unlevel "junk".

This year, I limited our found objects....



....and I found the method of making to be much easier, and the results to be just as cool.  Kids used cut cardboard, twine, foam core pieces, and corrugated cardboard to make different textures and shapes on their cardboard bases.



Once finished, they chose a paint color (we used liquid tempera), and they painted the whole thing.



After their painting was done, I had them brush over the tops of the objects they glued down, one more time, to make sure the paint was still wet enough to make a print, and then they pulled their monoprint on a different color.



I let the kids choose their color this year, but if I do this again, I think it would be cool to have them print on a complementary colored paper, for a little added color theory.

The last step was to dry brush some metallic over the top to emphasize the textures, and voila!  Nevelson Collage ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment